Amazon today introduced Amazon Music Unlimited in the UK—an on-demand music service that redefines music streaming by putting a catalogue of over 40 million songs and thousands of hand-curated playlists and personalised stations not just at the tips of your fingers, but also on the tip of your tongue. Amazon Music Unlimited makes discovering new music or listening to favourites easier and more fun than ever with the recently redesigned Amazon Music app as well as with innovative new Alexa voice controls.
“We’ve been thrilled with customer reaction to the launch of Amazon Music Unlimited in the U.S. last month and we’re excited to quickly bring the service to customers in the UK,” said Steve Boom, Vice President Amazon Music. “Starting today, Amazon Music Unlimited offers our UK customers playlists and stations curated by our music experts in the UK, featuring leading British and international artists – we think customers are going to love it.”
“Amazon Music Unlimited brings real value to the millions of people in the UK who are already Prime members, with a choice of subscribing for only £7.99 a month or even £79 per year,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder and CEO. “And if you want a sense of the future of voice-controlled music, go ahead and ask Alexa for a free Amazon Music Unlimited trial, and play around on your Echo. If you don’t know the name of a song but know a few lyrics, if you want to hear songs from a specific decade, or even if you’re looking for music to match your mood, just ask. Our U.S. customers love Amazon Music Unlimited on Echo, and we think our UK customers will too.”
More for Prime Members
Prime members now have more choice than ever when it comes to music streaming. Millions of Prime members already stream music on Amazon Prime every month at no extra cost to their membership, making Amazon Music one of the most popular music streaming services in the world. The Prime Music catalogue has grown to more than two million songs in the UK and over one thousand hand-curated playlists and personalised stations.
Today, with the launch of Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime members who want even more music have access to a catalogue of more than 40 million songs and thousands of hand-curated playlists and personalised stations at a breakthrough Prime member price of £7.99/month or £79/year (which equals only £6.58/month).
Even Better on Echo
Millions of customers have fallen in love with Alexa and have given Echo over 30,000 5-star reviews on Amazon. Since the debut of Echo nearly two years ago, music consistently has been one of the most popular activities on Echo; now Amazon Music has reimagined music listening on Echo with intuitive new Alexa voice controls that turn your Echo into the ultimate personalised jukebox. No searching or browsing required…just ask. And with the advanced machine learning of Alexa, the Amazon Music experience will become more conversational and personalised all the time.
- Have words to a song stuck in your head but can’t remember the name of the song? All you have to do is say a few words and Alexa will play the song. For example, just ask, “Alexa, play the song that goes, ‘I was doing just fine before I met you'” and Alexa will play, “Closer” by The Chainsmokers
- Ready to listen to Sia? Just ask, “Alexa, play Sia” and Alexa will create a playlist of Sia’s most popular songs
- Want to hear the latest hit by Clean Bandit? Just ask, “Alexa, play Clean Bandit’s new song” and Alexa will play their latest single “Rockabye”
- Want to re-live the music from your university days? You can ask Alexa to play hit music from a decade or a specific year or month. Just ask, “Alexa, play the most popular indie from the 90s” and Alexa will take you back in time
- Feeling down and need a pick-me-up? Just ask, “Alexa play ‘Happy Music'” and Alexa will choose a playlist based on your listening history like “Happy Friday Feeling,” “100 Greatest Feel-Good Classics” or “Pop Pick-Me-Up”
- Want to listen to early catalogue from a favourite artist? Just ask, “Alexa, play David Bowie from the 70s” and Alexa will play tracks from Bowie’s most prolific period
- Having friends over? Just ask, “Alexa, play party music” and Alexa will choose a playlist based on your listening history like “100 Greatest Party Songs”, “80s Hip-Hop Party Starters” or Dance Pop House Party”
- Not sure what to play? Just ask, “Alexa, play music” and Alexa will find something personalised just for you
Amazon Music on Alexa also brings fans and artists closer together with behind-the-scenes artist commentary about their music, called Side by Side. Customers can simply ask, “Alexa, play the One Republic Side-by-Side” and Ryan Tedder will play and comment on songs from One Republic’s latest album Oh My My. Side-by-Sides are available exclusively on Amazon Music from top artists such as Emeli Sandé, The Chainsmokers, Sting, Two Door Cinema Club, Madness, Norah Jones, The Shires and Michael Buble, with more being added all the time.
Amazon is offering an exclusive “for Echo” subscription plan for only £3.99/month, with full access to Amazon Music Unlimited on a single Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. To start a free trial to the “for Echo” plan, just ask “Alexa, start my Amazon Music Unlimited free trial.” If you decide later that you want to enjoy Amazon Music Unlimited on multiple devices, including more than one Amazon Echo, on Fire devices, iOS, Android, Web, PC, Mac, Sonos and more, it’s easy to upgrade to a standard plan for an additional £4.00/month for Prime members (£6.00/month non-Prime customers).
Sleek and Intuitive New App
The Amazon Music app has been redesigned with a beautiful, new interface that emphasises artist images and album art and puts music discovery and playback front and center. Key features of the app include “Home,” which showcases selections by Amazon Music editors to help customers stay up-to-date on the music they love and what’s trending and popular; “Recommended,” where customers can find personalised music suggestions powered by Amazon’s recommendation technology; and “Now Playing,” where synchronized lyrics make it easy to follow along to your favourite music.